Saturday, May 28, 2011

UGH! My Landlord is in Foreclosure. Now What?


A question that I am asked frequently by frustrated renters is “my landlord is getting foreclosed on, do I still have to pay my rent?” The short answer is yes, as frustrating as that is. Paying your rent on time every month only to find out your landlord is not paying the mortgage on the house is undoubtedly a total drag. However, you still have to adhere to the contract that you signed with the landlord- as long as he or she still owns the house. Once the house goes back to the bank after trustee sale he or she no longer owns the home and does not have the right to collect rent from you. At this point a liaison from the bank will likely make contact with you. If you are ever in this scenario I strongly recommend doing some due diligence so you know your rights as a tenant because there are special rules that have been enacted to protect you.

No comments:

Post a Comment