Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day- A Small Token of Appreciation



I want to take a moment to diverge from real estate talk for a bit to say a little about Memorial Day. I think we all know it is a day to commemorate our fallen soldiers so I am not going to bore you with definitions and history. What I do want to say though is this: As I get older and since I have become a mother I see and feel the importance of what our soldiers have done and continue to do for our country and I would like to encourage more people to do the same.




Last year on Memorial Day weekend my husband and I were in San Francisco celebrating our 10th wedding anniversary. Although we have always frequented the city, neither of us had ever visited The Presidio, let alone were aware it is the home to one of our National Cemeteries. The cemetery sits on a hillside near the approach to the Golden Gate Bridge with sweeping views of Crissy Field below and Alcatraz in the distance. The hillside is covered in green grass dotted with bright white marble headstones aligned neatly in rows with a road leading to the hilltop. We arrived after a Memorial Day procession so the park was nearly empty, but what we found was one of the most breathtakingly beautiful sights I have ever seen. The entire cemetery- the entire hillside, was covered in American flags. Each grave site had a flag carefully placed in front of it to honor the soldier who was buried there and the road leading to the top of the hill was lined with larger flags.

I have been back since, and the cemetery is always a beautiful place, but nothing compares to the way it looked that day. The decorations are merely a small token of appreciation compared to the debt the soldiers paid to be buried there, so this Memorial Day we all need take a moment and think of the men and women who have sacrificed their lives for our freedom and be thankful we live in this great nation.
For more information and directions to the cemetery, please visit  San Francisco National Cemetery 


No comments:

Post a Comment