Monday, July 11, 2011

Moving Sucks! 8 Steps To Help Ease The Pain From A Chronic-Mover

You might assume that I know a lot about moving since I sell houses for a living- but you’d be wrong. I know a lot about moving because I have done it many, many times in my life. There is no way around it- moving sucks. There is nothing fun or satisfying about it until the last box is moved and you sleep your very first night in your new home. Here are some tips I have learned throughout my life as a chronic-mover.
  1. Be prepared: Get your hands on as many boxes as you can right from the start. You will always need more than you think. Get bubble wrap and/or packing paper for the breakables. If you are going to buy boxes and other supplies Home Depot is a great place.
  2.  
     
  3. Don’t put off the inevitable: You know you are moving? Start packing now. There is no reason to put it off. The more you get done before your actual move-out date the smoother the move will go.
  4.  
     
  5. Be organized: As you are packing, label each box with the room it will go in at the new place and a simple explanation of what is in the box. Put this on three sides of the box- top, side and end. You WILL forget what is in the boxes so labeling is vital. Also, when your spouse wants to know where something is they won’t have to ask you. Quickly being able to assess what is in the box and where it needs to go in the new house will help the move-in go much smoother.
  6.  
     
  7. Start with the non-essentials, finish with the most essential: When you first embark on your packing mission it can seem overwhelming. I always start with the non-essentials and work my way through the house to the most essential items packing them last. I go room by room first packing everything that hangs on the walls, then all the items on bookshelves, mantles, side tables, etc. I then usually move to closets and cabinets- which leads to my next point.
  8.  
     
  9. If you haven’t used it in a year (or more)- DONATE IT! As I am packing I have a box (or a pile) of items that we have outgrown and/or no longer need. I do this with clothes, toys, shoes, household items, sporting goods, etc. Charities such as Goodwill, Salvation Army and The Hope Chest (local to Modesto) thrive on donations of household items, and many will even come pick them up from you and sometimes it can be a tax write-off. There is no reason to move items that you do not need anymore so save yourself the trouble.
  10.  
     
     
  11. Know when to hire help: Full service movers can cost thousands of dollars. Unless you are moving cross-country or your company is paying for your relocation you will likely not go this route. There are back-saving alternatives, however. In many communities you can just hire the muscle for a few hours to help get those beds and dressers up the stairs. I personally have had great luck finding experienced movers who hire out their services on the side on Modesto Craigslist. It saves time (and our backs). Experienced mover-helpers do it quicker and more efficiently than you or I could ever dream of.
  12.  
     
  13. First thing to do at the new place: put the beds together! If you are moving your entire house in one day, as soon as your beds are delivered put them together and make them. Do not put it off- you will be exhausted at the end of the day, so having your already made bed to fall into is the best thing you can do for yourself.
  14.  
     
  15. Don’t be in a hurry to unpack: If you have followed suggestions 3 and 4 your essential items (dishes, cups, silverware, sheets, etc) will be clearly labeled and easily accessible in the room in which they belong. Unpacking everything else can come later. Taking it slow when you unpack can allow you the time to be thoughtful about where you put things saving you time and frustration later. When I do start unpacking I always start with my kids rooms. They are still young, so making them feel at home in the new place is typically one of my first priorities.

With a little planning an organization you too can make an otherwise painful and daunting process a little more pleasurable.

Are you ready to move? Click HERE to start your search!




2 comments:

  1. I am looking for a great company in Modesto. Have you any contacts? want to have some moving services and am going to address these movers Modeso, Ca http://smile-moving.com/ca/modesto

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! moving companies in west hollywood

    ReplyDelete